CAPPA Technology Gateway, based in Munster Technological University, works in the area of photonics, the generation and manipulation of light, and is an important enabling technology for a wide range of applications. CAPPA Gateway is at the forefront of photonics research in Ireland, conducting both applied and fundamental research on photonics for applications in areas as diverse as telecommunications, medical devices, food and pharmaceutical manufacturing.
Food and Beverage Sector
Companies within the food and beverage industry can benefit from CAPPA’s expertise in all aspects from detection and identification of bacteria and other microorganisms to analysis of ingredients, processes and final product samples. CAPPA also have expertise in the dairy and agriculture sector with a focus on component detection, food authentication and spoilage, identifying defects and locating contaminants.
CAPPA can also assist with light-based photonic technologies for research, process improvement, product development, and consultancy and near to market problems. CAPPA also has expertise using photonics and optics platforms to add value to areas such as process analysis and control, product design and development and sensing and measurement.
Range of Food and Beverage Services Available at CAPPA:
- Quality and composition of ingredients
- Measurement of liquids for moisture, protein, fat, density and carbohydrate profile
- Analyse ingredients, process and final product samples
- Composition of a wide variety of foods and beverages including fats, oils, grains and cereals
- Analysis of effluents and powders
- Measurement of fat, moisture, protein, lactose, casein, total solids and other important constituents
- Distribution of ingredients
- Identifying defects
- Characterising product quality
- Contaminant identification
- Food authentication and analysis
- Measurement of key parameters in alcoholic beverages, liquid sweeteners, edible oils, juices, tea, coffee, soft drinks and nutritional formulas
- Rapid, multi-component analysis simultaneously without chemical or disposable costs
CAPPA works with companies from all over Ireland and collaborates with academic partners worldwide.